“Sleep Well” – This is the core phrase of melatonin sleep aid! Yes, if you have heard about it then you must know that this is the natural hormone that is very much responsible for you to sleep. But what happens when the pineal gland reduces the production of this hormone? The result is sleeplessness!
Why does melatonin production reduce?
Lack of sleep or insomnia is another horrible effect that is making people sink in the pool of several health hazards. Melatonin production can easily get reduced due to several reasons. For example – age, unhealthy lifestyle (which we all know is very common in present times).
Here are the chief causes for reduction in the levels of melatonin:
- Regular night shifts
- A leaky gut and other nutrient deficiencies in the body
- Constant travel leading to change of time zones
- Limited or no exposure to natural daylight
- Binge watching Netflix culture impeding sleep hours
- Irregular sleep due to having to attend to an infant
Why do people use melatonin?
The reason is simple. It restarts your body’s internal sleeping clock and ensures that you can sleep effectively on a daily basis. Here are some of the sleeping disorders that melatonin resolves –
- Delayed Sleep Phase Syndrome (DSPS)
- Attention Deficit-Hyper Activity Disorder (ADHD)
- Alzheimer disease
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS)
- Anxiety disorder
If you notice, all these are related to lack of sleep. How? Here is a small explanation regarding the same.
When you are not sleeping, there are two things that are drastically affecting your body –
- The brain cells are getting worked up which is deteriorating the sensory functions. In that case, the chemical ‘serotonin,’ which is responsible for triggering pain and uneasiness, has a high level of secretion in the body. It causes a lot of mental ailments, which includes anxiety, depression, ADHD, etc.
- When the body is active and working, there is a continuous process of metabolism going on inside. With oxygen, it burns the stored fat and carb to release energy. But, if the body is not getting enough sleep, the metabolism level reduces, and the rest of the functions also slow down. Hence, obesity, heart issues, gastronomical problems, etc.
All of these and many more health hazards start taking a toll on your body.
The biggest concern is when melatonin levels in your body are low during the evenings. This is, in fact, when it should be at its highest. The low level leads to your body experiencing the twin effects of lack of sleep and lack of melatonin.
This clears the point that sleep is necessary and more than that it is important to sleep naturally. The best way to do is by using melatonin.
How melatonin inhibits sleep cycle?
The main thing this hormone does is to identify day and night (it detects darkness). As soon as the lights are put out, or the sun sets, melatonin signals the body to sleep. If you are taking natural sleep aids which contain melatonin, it will aid you to sleep naturally for 6 to 8 hours. Moreover, as it is a bodily hormone, there is no side effect which you face when you take prescribed drugs. Along with melatonin, these strong sleeping tablets have a supreme combination with other natural herbs like – valerian roots, hops, passion flower and lemon balm to make it all the more effective.
##Check for symptoms of low melatonin##
Now that you know how low levels of Melatonin affect the body, it is time to be aware of its symptoms as well. This will put you in a position to quickly identify if you need help and then act on it.
- Finding it hard to sleep
- Recurring habit of forgetfulness
- Lower levels of immunity leading to higher susceptibility of catching a cold or flu
- Feeling tired throughout the day
While everyone is different and individual symptoms may vary from person to person, if you find yourself experiencing multiple of these symptoms – chances are that your melatonin levels are low. The best aid for this is to take melatonin supplements.
However, if you want to be certain, here’s what you can do. Take a sample of your saliva at 10 pm – a time of the day when it should be the highest. Alternatively, you can also take the sample right before going to bed.
Unfortunately, very few medical booths or sleep clinics conduct a test for melatonin. So you’ll need to take the sample to a naturopathic doctor or any functional medical practitioner who can conduct the test and interpret its results.
If you test positive for low levels of melatonin, don’t worry! Natural sleep aids are there to bring these levels back to where they belong.
You must also note that natural medications have melatonin as their prime component in the making. However, you must opt for the one which has the right amount of dosage in it.
What is the right quantity of melatonin in sleeping pills?
Effective herbal sleeping aids come with 3mg of melatonin per pill. This is found to be the optimal amount safe and required for a sound sleep.
Some other supplements come with extra melatonin which goes above the required amount. It is a common mistake made by people who think that more melatonin is good for the body. Fact is, too much of it can cause drowsiness and give you headaches.
When to take the pill?
It is best to take the pill after 9 pm when the pineal gland is most effective. After taking the oil, it is likely within 15 minutes you will start feeling sleepy.
Tips – Things to avoid making the herbal melatonin pill work best
- Avoid drinking too much coffee or tea before preparing to sleep as it contains caffeine
- Reduce alcohol intake
- Avoid tobacco products
- Don’t keep yourself exposed to blue light (Mobile phone, laptop, computer screen, etc.)
- Try to turn out the lights before the clock strikes 10 pm!
Apart from the above activities, it is also important to check your serotonin levels timely. If your melatonin levels are low, chances are that your serotonin is also low. This is because serotonin is an essential component of melatonin.
Once you start feeling better with natural sleep aids, conduct one final test of your melatonin levels just to know when you’re above the cautionary line.
Now that you know how helpful it is to take melatonin, you should know about the best natural sleeping pills too. Dr Backhaus sleep aids is the supreme best sleep aid. Have a great sleep at night and wake up feeling rejuvenated!
Relevant international reading and resources: More Dr Backhaus information can be found in different languages in Swedish – sömntabletter, beställa sömntabletter på nätet, melatonin köpa also in Danish at these sleep aid pages – sovepiller uden recept i tyskland, melatonin, sovemedicin håndkøb also sleep aids in Spanish – pastillas para dormir naturales, pastillas dormir sin receta and in the UK checkout this sleep aidover the counter sleeping pills. Those links will give you relevant information relating to this blog post on melatonin.